Wat Chedi Luang, the oldest temple in Chiang Mai Province, Thailand. The top of the temple was destroyed by either a 16th century earthquake or by cannon fire during the recapture of Chiang Mai from the Burmese in 1775. Restored by Unesco and the Japanese government in the 90’s helped stabilise the ruins preventing further deterioration. However, this is somewhat controversial, as some people claim the new elements are in Central Thai style, not Lanna style. For the 600th anniversary of the chedi in 1995, a copy of the Emerald Buddha made from black jade was placed in the reconstructed eastern niche. The icon is named official Phra Phut Chaloem Sirirat, but is commonly known as Phra Yok.